St Mirren Youth FC are working in partnership with Inchinnan Development Trust to preserve and develop Inchinnan’s woodlands and green spaces, including the historic India tyres Playing fields.
Did you know? ‘the Tyres’ are named after the India Tyre and Rubber Company, which used to produce ‘The finest Tyres Made’. India Tyre and Rubber Company built the houses on India Drive and Allands Avenue. All sorts of vehicle tyres were manufactured here from the late 1920s to the early 1980s. India of Inchinnan’s workforce had various sports and recreation clubs, including cricket, hockey, rugby, tennis and of course football.
Before it was a Tyre factory, the famous Clyde shipbuilder Beardmore’s became involved in aviation. In 1913, it manufactured aero-engines and aircraft at Dalmuir. Later on, the company constructed Nieuport, Sopwith Pup and its own aircraft designs, built at Inchinnan.
‘Beardmore Cottages’ were built by the company to house it’s key-workers in Inchinnan and ran the Inchinnan Airship Station producing the airships R27, R32, R34 and R36. The R36 airship was Scotland’s first passenger ‘airliner’.
These images can be found online on the National Collection of Aerial Photography website, which is part of Historic Environment Scotland; as well as the image collections of the National Library of Scotland, SCRAN and of course Google Search.